This recipe will make a large sized light wheat sandwich loaf that is a great tasting and a great texture for sandwich bread. The crust is soft like a sandwich bread, not as crisp as traditional no-knead bread. It is so easy to make and with little time invested (unless you count the 12+ hours of rising). I believe anyone could make this no-knead light wheat bread with great results, even without a kitchen mixer or any other special equipment.
Light Wheat Sandwich Loaf No-Knead Bread Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1 1/2 cups wheat flour (preferably fresh ground for better taste)
WonderMill Grain Mill
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- Combine all the dry ingredients (white flour, wheat flour, yeast, salt) in the large bowl (3 quart or larger) and stir with a mixing spoon for about 15 seconds or more.
- Combine water and honey in a separate bowl and stir till honey is dissolved into the water.
- Add water honey mix to the dry ingredients bowl and stir for about 3 minutes until the flour is mostly stuck to the dough (it won’t look that good but that doesn’t matter).
- Cover the top of the bowl loosely with plastic wrap.
- Let sit on counter top for about 12 to 18 hours (I ussually do this for about 13 hours), the dough will look all bubbly on the top.
- Generously sprinkle flour (wheat or white flour) the top of your clean counter top or a cutting board (don’t worry about using too much flour, it won’t hurt it).
- Slowly pour the dough from the bowl on to the floured surface, using the silicone spatula to help it peal off the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and rub your hands together with flour.
- With you hands, gently stretch the dough out to a rectangle shape.
- Roll up the dough from one end to the other.
- Place the dough into a lightly greased bread pan (seem side down).
- Let dough rise till it is a bit above the top of the bread pan (about double in size or 1.5 to 2 hours).
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread in the oven for 40 minutes to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool on a cooling rack or your counter top.
This light wheat bread is so cheap and simple to make that there is no reason to buy wheat bread from the store anymore. I just love light wheat bread for sandwiches, toast and jam, and toast and butter. The good thing about wheat bread is that it makes you fill fuller faster and longer.