This recipe will make a large sized white sandwich loaf that is as great tasting and a great texture for sandwich bread. The crust is soft like a sandwich bread, not as crisp as traditional no-knead bread. It is so easy to make and with little time invested (unless you count the 12+ hours of rising). I believe anyone could make this no-knead white bread with great results, even without a kitchen mixer or any other special equipment.
White Sandwich Loaf No-Knead Bread Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups water
- Combine all the dry ingredients (white flour, yeast, salt) in the large bowl (3 quart or larger) and stir with a mixing spoon for about 15 seconds.
- Add water to the bowl and stir for about 3 minutes until the flour is mostly stuck to the dough (it won’t look that good but that doesn’t matter).
- Cover the top of the bowl loosely with plastic wrap.
- Let sit on counter top for about 12 to 18 hours (I ussually do this for about 13 hours), the dough will look all bubbly on the top.
- Generously sprinkle flour the top of your clean counter top or a cutting board (don’t worry about using too much flour, it won’t hurt it).
- Slowly pour the dough from the bowl on to the floured surface, using the silicone spatula to help it peal off the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and rub your hands together with flour.
- With you hands, gently stretch the dough out to a rectangle shape.
- Roll up the dough from one end to the other.
- Place the dough into a lightly greased bread pan (seem side down).
- Let dough rise till it is a bit above the top of the bread pan (about double in size or 1.5 to 2 hours).
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread in the oven for 40 minutes to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool on a cooling rack or your counter top.
This white bread is so cheap and simple to make that there is no reason to buy white bread from the store anymore. I like wheat bread but for certain things I really like a good white bread, plus I like a variety of breads to eat. This is great for grilled cheese sandwiches and regular sandwiches.