I have really struggled to come up with a 100% whole wheat no-knead bread recipe that I can feel satisfied with, and from searching the web I am not the only one. A friend of a friend of mine made up a seeded 100% whole wheat no-knead bread that I actually liked, she called it her "No-Knead version of Dave’s Killer Seed Bread". I took her recipe and made a 100% whole wheat no-knead bread that I like, the seeds help the final product greatly. The bread does come out somewhat dense but there is no way to avoid that with whole wheat used in a no-knead method, if anyone has found a recipe of 100% whole wheat no-knead bread that has a light crumb please post it in the comments.
No-Knead 100% Whole Wheat Seed Bread Recipe
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (fresh ground is best)
WonderMill Grain Mill
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds and/or small grains
(like: pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, flax, chia seeds, amaranth, millet, and cracked grains; Just pick 2 or 4 or all of them)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- Combine all the dry ingredients (wheat flour, sunflower seeds, mixed seeds and/or small grains, yeast, salt) in the large bowl (3 quart or larger) and stir with a mixing spoon for about 30 seconds or more.
- Combine water and honey in a separate bowl and stir till honey is dissolved into the water.
- Add water honey mix to the dry ingredients bowl and stir for about 3 minutes, make sure all flour is incorporated into the dough (it won’t look that good but that doesn’t matter).
- Cover the top of the bowl loosely with plastic wrap.
- Let sit on counter top for about 12 to 18 hours (I usually do this for about 13 hours), the dough will have small bubble holes on the top.
- Generously sprinkle flour the top of your clean counter top or a cutting board (I do use white flour for this part because it works better but you can use whole wheat if you want).
- Slowly pour the dough from the bowl on to the floured surface, using the silicone spatula to help it peal off the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and rub your hands together with flour.
- With you hands, gently stretch the dough out to a rectangle shape.
- Fold the left side half way over and then fold the right side over it.
- Place the dough into a lightly greased bread pan (seem side down).
- Let dough rise till it is a bit above the top of the bread pan (almost double in size or 1.5 to 2 hours).
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread in the oven for 40 minutes to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool on a cooling rack or your counter top.
This 100% whole wheat seed bread is so very filling and a big change from the regular bread we eat so often.