This recipe will make a large sized sandwich loaf that is as good, or better, than any partial wheat bread I have ever had. The crust is thin and crisp but the inside is moist with a great texture. I have made it a few times this week and I just love the taste of it. It is so easy to make and with little time invested (unless you count the hours of rising). I believe anyone could make this no-knead 50 percent wheat bread with great results, without a kitchen mixer, or any other special equipment.
Half Wheat Sandwich Loaf No-Knead Bread Recipe
- 2 cups Whole Wheat flour (preferably fresh ground for better taste)
WonderMill Grain Mill
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 cups water
- Very large bowl
- Wooden spoon or a strong mixing spoon
- 1/2 teaspoon
- Silicone Spatula
- Plastic wrap (saran wrap)
- Bread Pan (not to small, large preferred)
- Kitchen oven
- Cooking spray (Pam).
- Combine all the dry ingredients (wheat flour, white flour, yeast, salt) in the large bowl and stir with spoon for about 15 seconds.
- Add water to the bowl and stir for about 1 or 2 minutes (it won’t look that good but that doesn’t matter).
- Cover the top of the bowl loosely with plastic wrap.
- Let sit on counter top for about 12 to 16 hours (I ussually do this for about 13 hours), the dough will look all bubbly on the top when done rising.
- Generously sprinkle flour the top of your clean counter top or a cutting board (don’t worry about using too much flour, it won’t hurt it).
- Slowly pour the dough from the bowl on to the floured surface, using the silicone spatula to help it peal off the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and rub your hands together with flour.
- With you hands, gently stretch the dough out to a rectangle shape.
- Fold the left side half way over and then fold the right side over it.
- Fold the top and bottom in a similar fashion.
- Stretch the dough ball a little little longer so it can sit length wise in your bread pan.
- Place the dough into a lightly greased bread pan.
- Let dough rise till it is a bit above the top of the bread pan (about double in size or 1.5 to 2 hours).
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place bread in the oven for 30 minutes.(if you have an instant read thermometer, the inside of the bread should reach at-least 190 degrees. If you don’t have an instant read thermometer, just leave it in for the full 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let it cool on a cooling rack or your counter top.
Note: This bread is best eaten fresh, and you’ll find that it will not last long either. The longer you store it, the softer the crust will get. When it is fresh, the crust will be thin and crunchy and the inside will be moist with great texture.
This was my first attempt at making no-knead bread. Everything worked smoothly. The bread rose quickly and baked beautifully. My two sons loved eating it!